Friday 24 April 2015

To print or not to print?.... That is the question.

A Miller's eye view of The Thrum, Rothbury
I painted this view of the River Coquet at about this time last year. My viewpoint was the rocks right next to the newly restored water wheel of Thrum Mill- which you may have seen on "Restoration Man" even if you haven't actually seen it in reality. The Thrum is owned by my friend Margaret and her husband Dave, who gave me the full guided tour that day. This culminated in walking out onto the rocks next to the mill race and the large wooden water wheel. The light was warm, bright and low- and it seemed to emanate from the trees on the opposite bank. It was a beautiful, magical, almost theatrical lighting display.

 Since then, I've been vacillating about whether I should make this painting into a print or simply have it framed up to sell as a one off. It's a lovely place which has been a great favourite for generations of residents and visitors to Rothbury.  But does this particular image, with these colours and these unusual lighting conditions, speak to people who have never seen it looking like that? I just can't decide! 


http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-restoration-man/episode-guide

No comments:

Post a Comment